Monday 31 May 2021

B-17 - The Bombers

 In my previous post I talked about how I'd played 'B-17: Queen of the Skies' back in the 80s, and how we'd run a large game involving five players and ten bombers. Sorting through the papers in the box I found a lot of the mission logs for that game and, it appears, many others. And they don't all have my handwriting on, suggesting that we may have run a number of two- or three-player games as well. Anyway, a commenter on the previous post waxed lyrical about the names they'd given their bombers, so I noted down every bomber name I could find in the records in my box. And here they are - a small glimpse into the gaming past of myself and my friends, many of whom I've lost touch with now and one of whom is no longer with us.

Queenie
Lady In Red
Lady Fantasy
Blonde Bombshell
Miss Fortune
Pancake
Brief Encounter
Green Goddess
Mrs Robinson
Miss Mash
Doris
Glory B
Miss Take
Sue Anne
Roving Redhead
Friday The Thirteenth
Heart Of Lothian
The Omen
The Flying Latrine
Vienna
Miss Conception
Miss Tree
Feet First
Out Of The Frying Pan
Lady Killer
Down In Flames
Scheherezade
This End Up
The Creeping Terror
Lady Macbeth

And finally, my 25 mission bomber:

The Last Tango

I found that two crew of The Last Tango survived all 25 missions - the co-pilot and the bombardier. The co-pilot was actually seriously wounded on the 25th mission, so was invalided out of the war. The surviving engineer, who flew 12 missions on the plane, Master Sergeant Jock McMahon, score the most kills, with 12, five of which were achieved on one mission. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...