Friday 21 May 2021

The Return Of W1815

A few years ago I took my precious copy of W1815 on holiday, and not longer after I got back I realised that I had no idea where it was. I searched and searched and couldn't find it and realised that I'd left it behind on one of the campsites we'd stayed on.

Or so I thought. The other day I was rummaging around looking for a game to take away with us on our weekend break, and I found it hidden between two boxed games. So as you can imagine I was rather pleased, as I'd assumed the game was out of print and irreplaceable*.

Anyway, I had an afternoon off today, since I was getting m first dose of COVID vaccine, so I decided to use it wisely by playing some games of W1815, trying out a set of solo rules for running the Allies that can be found on BoardgameGeek.

I didn't keep details of the twelve of more games I played (it's a quick game), but I did note some highlights. The French won more often than the Allies, as I suspect they will against a 'bot whose responses you can, in part, predict. However as 'bots go its not a pushover; you still need to make some careful choices and have a bit of luck. For example in the first game d'Erlon's Corps rolled two sixes in their first two attacks, smashing the Allies corps under Orange. Uxbridge's cavalry swept the Grand Battery away, but a counter-attack by the French cavalry destroyed Uxbridge, and a poor Allied morale roll saw their army break. The game hinged on a lot of sixes being rolled. And, indeed, in the second game the same tactics saw d'Erlon stalled against Orange, the Grand Battery destroyed by Uxbridge, Reille fail roll make an impression on Hill and a final push by Wellington break the French morale. Again the final morale roll hinged on rolling a six.

My favourite game was a French win achieved almost entirely by the cavalry, with the Grand Battery (under Napoleon's direct supervision) administering the coup de grace. Ney's cavalry stayed under control and slowly ground down the Allied morale, then they and the artillery inflicted just enough casualties to force a morale check that the Allies were hard-pressed to pass.

Here's a shot of the final game I played, which was very close indeed; both armies were a smidge away from breaking when Napoleon committed the Guard. The Allies just held on (you can see how few divisions they had left), and a Prussian attack on Plancenoit forced a French morale check which they weren't so lucky with. The Allies won. Just.


 A damn close-run thing, in fact.

*As it turns out it was reprinted in a new edition last year. I'm glad I didn't find out until after I found my copy, as I would have certainly bought a replacement, and apparently the new edition doesn't look as nice as the old one and even has errors on the cards.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...