Today I finished them!
So here we go. This is how I made some Ming Dynasty treasure junks.
I used the larger lolly sticks for these models. I wanted them to be as big as was practical for my table. They are 60mm long and 15mm wide - about twice the dimensions of my other ships. But I used the same layered construction.
The pencil marks were for positioning the masts.
I wasn't quite sure how wild to go with the masts on these ships; some reconstructions show a considerable number, some of them side by side. I opted for six masts in the end, with a pair towards the stern.
Here's one of the ships next to a galley, so you can get an impression of their size.
I added some superstructure made from card. With hindsight I think I should have added more, and that's still a possibility.
Then I undercoated them.
Most reconstructions showed the junks being colourful, so I went with that. This was the start of the painting. And I added some sails made from scored craft-paper.
And that's basically how they sat for over a year. I had painted most of the details, but the sails, final detailing and basing still had to be done.
Today I did that, and here's the finished models.
Again, here they are with one of my European ships so you can get a feel for the size.
Now it's time for them to set sail ...