Friday 10 May 2019

Burlesque Update #1

Not Us
(But how we think we'll look. In our dreams)
I have survived Week One of my six-week sabbatical from Thursday Night Wargaming!

As I wrote about the other week, my latest set of burlesque lessons are taking place on Thursdays, and I can't be in two places at once. This will be the longest break I've taken from club wargaming in about ten years.

Strangely I spent last night learning about cannons which, as well as being big guns, are also a form of group dance move not unlike an elegant Mexican wave. Anyway, our group routine features two cannons as part of the opening section, and once we have the timings sorted we'll look fantastic. Maybe even a bit glamorous.

As well as being part of the group performance I am also learning how to develop a solo burlesque routine, which I will be performing in front of a real, paying, audience in early June. So far this is going surprisingly well. I have the overall structure mapped out, I have all of the costume elements organised, and have choreographed about half of it to a stage where I can actually practice it. In the most recent class for the 'Feature Performers' (for such I am) I did what I have so far in front of other people (the rest of the class) for the first time, and apparently it's looking good. So I'm quite thrilled. Bear in mind I have little performance background (some amateur dramatics about 20 years ago) and no dance experience aside from some rock & roll lessons a few years ago. So this is virgin territory for me.

Back to games in my next post, I promise.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...