Tuesday 10 March 2020

Burlesque Update #12

It's been pretty quiet on the burlesque front for the past couple of months, at least in terms of actual performances. But things are moving once again, so I thought that it was time for another update, covering things that are past, things that are present and things that are yet to come.

2019 closed out with Maya and I going to see burlesque royalty in action - the fabulous Dita Von Teese performed a couple of shows in Sydney. We both glammed up for it, and got to see an excellent show - fantastic production, amazing costumes and some jaw-dropping performances. We didn't get to meet Dita after the show (that was for people willing to pay), but we did meet some of the other cast, including the compere - US drag-queen Jackie Beat.


In early January I was given an opportunity to do something I've wanted to do for a while now - march in the world-famous Sydney Mardi Gras Parade. So I took it. I marched with a group called Retro Equality, which is a loose alliance of retro/vintage style pinup models, and similar people, including a few burlesque performers. Whilst not choreographed - members of our group just did their own thing, and were left to create their own outfit as individuals - doing the parade is a performance of sorts, as you really have to do something a little more interesting than just walk. You at least have to wave. Smile and wave. And maybe manage the odd twirl. Or flash of petticoat. For 50 minutes. Over 3km. In front of 300,000 people. And a live TV audience.

Anyway, after applying to be in the parade I saw the perfect dress, bought it and themed my whole outfit around it.

Yee Haw! Retro Cowgirl!


Look closely for the Die Hard brooch.

This is the only full-length shot I got on the night. At the time of writing this I'm still waiting for the pictures the group's photographer took throughout the evening. That will include some taken during the actual march (these were taken beforehand, in the marshalling area).

(This was the vehicle the group from the UK High Commission were marching behind. Of course.)



And here I am with two other members of our group, Miss Surely Knot and Ms Emmeline Spankhurts, both burlesque performers of far greater experience and talent than I.


One of my son's radio friends was doing a live broadcast of the show for their station, and sent me some pictures of our group as we went past. You can see me kind of centre-left, just under the streetlamp. And look at that crowd!

Photo by Ti Butler
Aside from that, much time has been taken up preparing for the Canberra heat of Burlesque Idol 2020. In my last update I said I'd been selected to perform in this, my first competition. Although I was doing an act I knew well, I put work into improving the costume a little, as well as tightening up the moves to make it extra slick and, I hoped, more entertaining.

Did I win? No.

Was I the runner-up? No.

Did I give the audience the best damn performance of my life? I certainly did.

And did I have an amazing time? Too bloody right I did!

I've worked pretty hard over the past few weeks for this performance, and I really felt it was worth it. It was exciting hearing the judges' feedback emphasise and praise the parts of the act that I feel are the standout moments, so that was a real thrill.

And what an audience. Loud and enthusiastic from start to finish.

Anyway, there's official photos to come, but here's a couple of backstage shots of my performance outfit and the award ceremony outfit.



No rest for the wicked, though. I've been developing a new act over the past few months. There's still a bit to do on it, but I'm performing it at the end of March, so I have plenty to keep me busy there.

And new classes start later this month, which will once again end in a couple of showcase events, similar to last year. And I'll be using the sessions to develop another solo act. This time I'm planning something new for me in a couple of areas. Firstly it will, if it goes to plan, use props rather than just costume. And, secondly, I will be performing as a guy rather than en femme. Given that I started doing burlesque as an extension of my crossdressing, this is something of a shift in how I'm approaching it now. I'm still going to stick to my stage-name, though. Given its origin it's more than suitable for use by any gender.

This next set of classes will also see both Maya and Catherine developing their first solo acts, so the showcases will be more of a family event than even the ones we did last year.

Look out for another update in a couple of months, or follow Isadora Persano on Facebook!


2 comments:

  1. Pretty awesome! I know nothing about burlesque world but you make it really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been a bit of a voyage of discovery for me as well, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it, despite the stress and hard work it sometimes entails.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...