Friday 27 September 2019

Blucher

I've been up on a client site in Sydney all week, which has been exhausting in itself - I really don't know how people manage that commute every day. And with it being a sales site I got dragged screaming and kicking into their regular end of week sales celebration, which involved unlimited quantities of wine and cheese. So whilst I managed to get to wargaming on a Thursday evening, I have written this blog post about our game whilst half-cut and in a low-level cheese coma.

Just so you know.

Anyway, we played Blucher. Austrians vs French at 300pts. We actually had three players to a side, but simply managed one CinC by committee. Some members of our group, whilst they like Blucher in principle, also feel that it's (i) slow, (ii) low on decisiveness and (iii) lacking in chrome, so have been ruthlessly house-ruling it. I don't personally have a problem with Blucher as it stands, but I guess it's not a period in which I'm either well-read or that interested in, so what do I know? Anyway, the latest set of house-rules were in use last night. They make firing more decisive, and frequent, but units operate at full strength for longer to offset it a little. There are a few other bits and pieces, but those were the ones pertinent to our game.

I won't bore you with details. The Austrians defended a ridge, and the French attacked. Somehow we left a gap on our right and the French exploited it, and our main infantry command, despite putting up a brave fight, was fairly mangled. My command was on the left, anchored on a village and with some rough field in front of it, and was barely troubled by the French. On the far-right our cavalry looked poised to turn the French left until a pile of French cavalry and infantry turned up in their rear and put an end to it. On the whole it was a bit of a French win.

Here's the pretty pictures. Gary and Peter provided the toys.













1 comment:

  1. "half-cut and in a low-level cheese coma"
    You say that like its a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...