Sunday 27 August 2017

Fascinating

As part of this blog's remit of being about my wargaming activities I do, of course, include some of my modelling and painting, even if, generally, I prefer to post game- and rules-related stuff. And it's always fun to be able to transfer skills picked up from my activities to other areas of my life.

Case in point this weekend. Every year, around this time, we go to a local charity ball, which always has a retro/vintage theme of some kind. It's an opportunity to dress up posh and fancy and strut our stuff, and you know I'll never turn down a chance to do that.

My wife and daughter made their outfits again this year, whilst mine was off-the-peg, albeit exactly what I wanted. But both my wife an I wanted headpieces to accessorise our looks.

My wife had made herself a 70s style jumpsuit in a rather unusual Hallowe'en spider-design fabric, and wanted something to match. we searched the files on Thingiverse, and found a set of pieces for making jewellery with. I printed off the necessary bits, painted them to match her outfit and assembled them into this. The assembly was a simple superglue and pinning with wire effort:


The fact that it matched her hair was just an extraordinary coincidence.

My beautification took longer (obviously). I wanted a fascinator to match the frock I'd selected; something fancy but not too over-the-top. I bought a few bits from Spotlight, watched a number of videos on You Tube, trawled through fashion blogs and Pinterest, and then set to. I assembled, and disassembled, but eventually with the aid of a little bit of sewing and a session with my daughter's hot-glue gun, I produced this:


All I can say is that it wasn't as easy to make as I thought it would be; I can see why people fork out wads of cash to buy one. However aside from time it cost me less than $25, so it was worth it.

Here's the bigger picture.

My whole outfit:


Mrs Kobold and I:

And the rest of our party - my daughter (seated), her boyfriend and her best friend. My daughter made her vintage-style dress and turban:


As you can see, we lead a glamourous life chez Kobold.

5 comments:

  1. Score 1 for creativity on the cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. With hindsight I think my whole outfit cost less than the ticket for the ball :)

      Delete
  2. These posts of yours always put a smile on my face, after the inevitable double take as I remember which particular wargaming blog I'm reading. Great reveal on this one at least on my IPad, i was a page in until I hit that moment.

    Great look for the whole family, and great use of hobby supplies for the fascinators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's always good to be able to transfer skills from one hobby to another, and then share the results.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...