Friday 29 December 2023

Another Dinosaur

Back on November I found some plastic toy dinosaurs that were basically the right scale to use with 15mm figures*. I have since been looking out for others to add to my collection. Indeed I'm fairly sure that there's a couple of viable candidates tucked away in one of the many boxes of random figures and stuff that are down in the garage. However I also check out any toy-shops or museum gift-shops I go to as well.

Last weekend I went to the Australian Museum to see an exhibition of Ancient Egyptian artifacts linked to Ramses II (it was OK, but not outstanding), but in the gift-shop they did have some nice model dinosaurs. Most were too large for what I need, but I did find this chap - a Brachiosaurus.


It's a lovely model and I thought it was probably about the right size. You can see it based up. I didn't bother with a repaint; he was good enough to use as is.


However, like the massive nerd I am, I checked the size and found that in 1/100th scale my Brachiosaurus was 50% too big. Brachiosaurus is a big chap, but not that big. Here it is with some 15mm hunters.


Not to be put off I did some more research (lots of Googling) and ended up falling down a sauropod rabbit-hole. When I was a kid dinosaurs like Brachiosaurus were the biggest of the big. Since then, of course, a number of species have been described and discovered that make it seem pretty mediocre. And my model fits at least one of them in both size and appearance.

So he's a Brachiosaurus no longer. He fits the size and shape of the epic Sauroposeiden. And it's going to take a lot of effort to hunt. Plenty of meat on it though.


And just so you can get another view of the size, here's my newly christened Sauroposeiden with a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Rex looks pretty small.

The observant among you will notice that the base widths for both dinosaurs are 40mm, so they can be drafted into my HOTT armies if required.

*For the smaller stuff I'm going to have to go with commercial wargames figures. Memo to Self: Have a look and see what's available.

3 comments:

  1. "Call yourself a Tyrannosaurus Rex? I'm a Humungosaurus Emperor
    what treads on Tinysauruseses just to hear them go ''squit'"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a PROPER behemoth, Kaptain…wotta monster 🫣

    ReplyDelete
  3. The model is fine. “Research” is over-rated anyway.
    If anyone questions you then all you need to say (apparently) is “how do you know? Were you there?”. All the best for ‘24.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...