Saturday 7 January 2023

Hoppy New Year

I have decided that, rather than try and do any lengthy painting sessions that I will rapidly tire of, I will make the effort to do a few minutes every day, even if that just involves putting one dab of paint on one figure. I'm hoping that this approach, whilst it will not produce any armies, might finish the odd figure or element in my pile of unpainted and partially-painted stuff.

So having completed some wolves and diprotodon for 'Palaeo Diet' last week, I turned my attention to some more Australian beasts. These are listed in the Mike Yarrow Miniatures catalogue as 'Small Ancient Rodent like Killer Kangeroos (sic)'.


I'm not sure exactly what they are supposed to represent. There was some form of potentially carnivorous creature that's related to kangaroos, although reconstructions show it as more of a quadruped. And there were some impressively large short-faced kangaroos as well (possibly of a size where they actually walked, rather than hopped). These figures look more like angry beavers, but are just about roo-like to pass. After all, to my knowledge no-one does kangaroos of any type in 15mm, so they're the best I can hope for at the moment. And they do look suitably weird and prehistoric. They will make a nice Herd Grazer alternative to the Bullockornis.


Here they are with a hunter, so you can get an idea of their size.


At the same time I also did this Irregular Miniatures lion, which has been sat on my desk for years without even a lick of undercoat. He's a big lad, but more than suitable for use as a prehistoric predator.


Here he is, about to make a meal of a hunter.


And chasing some weird kangaroos in a gross violation of paleodistribution.


I do have a couple more 'Palaeo Diet' odds and ends to do, so may turn my attention to those next, or look at something else. I mean, I have quite a collection of stuff already now.

2 comments:

  1. The kangaroos are lovely. Do the rules cover small animals/insects? I imagine being suddenly presented by huge swarms of, say, ants or bees would be horrific. A bow or spear may be good got fending off/bringing down actual animals (wolves, for example) but no use whatsoever against a swarm of bees. I guess fire or smoke would be best in those situations.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire is good against anything, although a little uncontrolled.

      The basic game includes Critters, which are very small animals such as rabbits or birds which can be flushed out of terrain. The first supplement adds Angry Critters, which makes some Critters dangerous - snakes or small carnivores. They can be annoying but not necessarily lethal. And finally the pulp supplement introduces swarms, which are very hard to disperse or destroy (except with fire) but disrupt the activations of hunters.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...