Thursday 24 February 2022

StreetSoccer

Wednesday evening is becoming a regular boardgame evening in our house. It's the one evening that we eat our evening meal at the dining table, instead of in front of Netflix (or similar), and having eaten and being sat at a table it's just become sensible to get out a game of something afterwards.

This week Maya opted not to join us - she's bought some new fans for burlesque and wanted to practice with them - so Catherine and I got out StreetSoccer. We'd taken this on holiday and it was the one game we never got around to playing. 

StreetSoccer is such a wonderfully simple game - roll a D6, move a player, kick the ball and try to bounce it along as many of your players as possible - but is clever and exciting too. To my mind it captures the speed and thrills of an informal footy match in the park.

I took blue, and Catherine orange. This is just after kick-off, with the ball in play in Catherine's half, along with most of her players.


Within the first couple of minutes I nipped in and scored. That'll teach her to keep her goalie off his line.


I scored again, but then Catherine got the ball down my end of the field, and after a tense scramble in one of the corners scored her first goal, and then the equaliser. 


A fluffed goal-kick on my part saw her take possession in the dying minutes, and score the winner.

So a 3-2 win, to Catherine after being 2-0 down in the first half.

We set up another game, and this time I firmly controlled the ball. Eight minutes (turns) in and I was 3-0 up, thanks to the powerhouse duo of M'Komo and Kim Yo Su up front.


Catherine ended up with all of her players in the middle of the pitch and spread from side to side, unable, because of crappy die rolls, to get them back into a better position and take control of the ball. Again and again I gained possession, and ran the ball to my dynamic duo, who then scored. I was 4-0 up eleven minutes in.


At the end - 25 minutes - I won 6-0. Catherine had had one decent run at a goal, which fizzled out before she could score. Even at the end I was setting up for my seventh goal, but didn't quite get time for the final shot.

Anyway, one game each seemed a fair way to end the evening.

In other news I spent some of our time away working on my ancient galleys, and some of the time since we got back making a few new ones to bring each side up to 400pts, as suggested in the rules. Now I have to gear myself up for some painting. Off on the right of the picture is a mock-up design for a quadrireme, which will be the next project.


52 Games - Game 20


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...