Thursday 17 February 2022

Galley Redesign

A thread on the Galleys & Galleons Facebook group concerning ancient galleys got me thinking about the ones I made a couple of years ago. I'd played a few games with them, but had never been entirely satisfied with the models, and had always felt they needed a redesign. They obviously date from before I started using printed sea-bases and oars, so that upgrade was always on the cards, but I'd never felt that the look was quite right.

Anyway, yesterday I did some research (I Googled 'trireme' in an image search) had another look at my models, and came up with a redesign that I think captured their look a little better. 

On the left is the original galley. On the right is my slight redesign - another layer in the prow and a reversal of the stern post to better capture that curved look they have.


I'm quite please with how it turned out, so the next step is to remodel the other eleven triremes I have, then tidy up the paintwork, do the oars and base them. After that I can consider how to do bigger (easy) and smaller (less easy) ships.

4 comments:

  1. I like the elegant simplicity of this design. In fact I'm thinking seriously of copying it - or at least adapting the design to Byzantine dromons. Thanks for the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A slight improvement I agree, however the originals still take some beating. Top stuff as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing the a difference a simple little change can make. I do like the simplicity of your scratch-built ships, very effective.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...