Saturday 28 November 2020

HOTT 52 - Week 48 - Gondor vs Dunlendings

I'd promised you more Daleks for this week's HOTT 52 game, and that was definately what I had scheduled until Geoff seduced me with the promise of a thursday evening playing with his 'new' Middle Earth armies. I qualidied 'new' because they're old figures rebased, repainted and reorganised into a set of 15mm armies. And very nice they are too, in a retro kind of way.

Geoff  decided to go for Gondor (blades, spears, knights and shooters) and I, in a burst of insanity, decided to field a Dunlending army consisting of twelve warband. Madness, eh?


I anchored my one flank on a hill, whilst Geoff threatened it with cavalry.


My other flank was anchored on a lake (impassable terrain).


Oh well. A fierce charge never fails.


Amazingly my warband held the Gondorian knights, who were obviously having an off-day.


I charged off the hill to engage the Gondorian cavalry as well.

But the big fight was in the centre. Geoff's Gondorians were led by a spear-general, who found himself faced by my warband general. It was only a mtter of time before those warand charges paid off and the Gondorian commander ws slain. With more losses than mine, Geoff's army broke.


We played again. This time the Gondorians defended. And the Dunlendings becamse four warband allies of an Orc army with hordes, troll behemoths more warbands and a blade general.



The Dunlendings covered both my left and right flanks. Those on the right put up a good fight against the Gondorian cavalry, but fell foul of the archers.


Advances in the centre.


And the Gondorians charge.


Their knights cut throug the Orc hordes, whilst results on the flanks were mixed.


The knights continued their slaughter, but the big orcs on my right destroyed some Gondorian spears, exposing the Gondorian general again. 

And the Gondorian general fell to warband again.


Except, on the same bound, some Gondorian ally swordsmen destroyed the trolls attacking the, making the Orc losses higher than those of the Gondorians. The Gondorians fought on! And use a great PIP roll to destroy enough Orc elements to win the battle!


 So Geoff and I finished with one win each, which is a fair way to end an evening.

2 comments:

  1. It's strange to make the Gondor general a Spear, you'd expect a Knight.

    Arguably (but I'm on thin ice here) since we only see the Dunlendings in action at a siege, their elite could be Riders, or they could have scouts that are Riders (or even Beasts to make them good in Bad Going). I've no idea if it's ever been tried.

    OTOH, IMHO if they're allies it would be only Saruman's so they'd provide the Warbands to a force of Blades (Uruk-Hai), Shooters and Hordes (possibly with Beasts for Wargs and Riders for Warg Riders), Trolls being an exclusivity of Sauron's - unless we assume the Red Eye's forces have already moved that far west…

    Ah well, it's HOTT. Maybe they could ally with the Daleks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...