Saturday 8 July 2023

Eques And Dimachaerus

I'm still doing a tiny bit of painting every day. Sometimes this is just repairs on existing figures, but over the past week or so I have been painting the last of my gladiator miniatures. Yesterday I finished them.

First up are the Eques - gladiators on horses!

It seems that this type only fought each other, and Crusader very nicely sell them as a pair. Since this would be a special show, I decided to match mine, by doing them in red and white with the same colour scheme, but inverting the colours. I did give them different armour colours as well

Here they are on horseback:



Crusader also give you the dismounted figures as well. It seems that at some point the gladiators got off the horses and fought on foot, with sword only.



And here's each one both mounted and dismounted. Firstly Habilis.


And then Maternus.


My first though is maybe to run them as a Hoplomachus when they are mounted, but have them switch to being on foot if one is knocked down, and running them as a Murmillo with less armour and more speed. 

As well as the Eques I also painted a couple of Dimachearus. I'd held off on doing these because, quite frankly, I have loads of figures of this type already. But now I have more. On the left is Ferox and on the right is Ingenuus.

So, for the first time in ages, I have no unpainted gladiators. I want to order some more from Brigade Games and West Wind (via Old Glory), but the postage cost for such a small number of figures as I'd be getting makes it not worth the effort. A shame, because one more decent batch of figures will push me to the 100 gladiator mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...