Tuesday 1 March 2022

52 Games - Update 1

To be honest, when I started my 52 Games project I wasn't sure exactly how it would pan out. But in reality it seems to be going just the way it ought to. So far I have played 22 different games since the start of the year which looks impressive but has to take into account that, at the moment, a lot of games I play this year I will be playing for the first time. A perusal of the list, however, will show that I have already included a few of my regular games - HOTT, Love Letter, DBA - so from now on no matter how many of those I play again this year, they won't count.

There have been fewer miniatures rules so far than I thought I might have had. Part of that is probably down to my lack of drive and inspiration at present. I'm hoping that the gradual resumption of regular club gaming will kick-start that, and see me getting a few more games on the table. Against that, our move to trying to play more boardgames as a family is helping increase their total. Some of them are fairly light and trivial games, but they are still games.

I did include a couple of borderline cases - I wasn't sure about adding darts, for example, but I did (and we're still playing regularly, keeping track of wins as well, so we'll have a family champion at the end of the year). And the live murder mystery scavenger hunt we did in January is something of a borderline case as well. I have chosen to exclude a couple of things. Firstly we have been bitten by the Wordle bug, but I'm not including either that or the arithmetic Nerdle. And neither am I including Duolingo (I'm learning Indonesian) despite its league table system promoting a hefty degree of competitive behaviour in terms of completing lessons for points.

Anyway, as we start March I have 30 games left to do, which averages out at a nice three games per month. I'll do another update in a couple of months and we'll see how things are going then.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the quest !! Should produce some intriguing games, and is already entertaining, from this viewer’s p.o.v..
    [Thought. - Would a run through of one of the ‘other’ Portable Wargames pike n shot games by other authors be worth a go, as you have the figures and table/cloth for it??…or a BBDBA?].
    Cheers
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This does open up the question of what counts as a 'game'. I've classed the 3 x 3 Portable Wargame as its own game because I think the format is radically different enough from the original to do so. But I would probably consider any of the conventional 8x8 versions as one game. And haven't, this far, played one :)

      The same would hold true for BBDBA - I would class it as the same game as DBA.

      Delete
  2. Aha…not taking the easiest path 🙃.

    Like the 6mm DBA - great mass effect. Unusual to see the Meroitics in action…a good army, with a potentially deadly general’s element. And yes, Steppe always comes as a surprise, but might be realistic, I guess…I think the Nubians get the same topography, a millennium earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...