Tuesday 30 October 2018

Montgomery 1644

Yesterday evening I played another ECW Portable Wargame in order to test out the changes to moving from in front of the enemy that I outlined in my previous game report. I adapted a scenario for the 1644 action at Montgomery. To be honest I wasn't entirely happy with what I came up with, so I won't post the details here just yet. And the report will be sketchy; by the time I got chance to set up and play the evening was fairly advanced, so the photos suffered from poor lighting, and my abiity to manage the game suffered from my tired brain.

Setup. Royalists at the top and Parliamentarians at the bottom.


Or left and right.


Parliament starts with some of its cavalry off-table, so the Royalists had an early advantage.


When Parliament's remaining cavalry turned up the Royalists found the fight a little harder.


The Royalists attacked with their foot so that the Parliamentarian foot wasn't free to support their horse.


Parliament's horse turned the tide in their side's favour, routing a number of their Royalist foes.



The Royalist foot, although more numerous than their opponent's, failed to make any headway. With most of their horse scattered, their army's momentum ground to a halt, and I called the action for Parliament.



The locking of units in front of enemy units worked OK for movement. However, as with any changes to a game, there were unintended consequences. or, at least, things I hadn't thought of. I have to consider what to do about involuntary movement. That is, can a unit retreat if it would not otherwise be able to leave a square in front of enemy units? And, in a similar vein, can a unit pursue from in front of an enemy? I need to ponder the pros and cons.

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to see how you progress with these amendments. Have you considered negating the zone of control if the unit is engaged in melee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but I'm trying to keep things simple without too many exceptions. Retreats in the Portable Wargame are voluntary, so I may forbid them - it makes being flanked nicely dangerous, since you can't fall back to offset taking a hit. And most pursuits are voluntary as well, so I may forbid voluntary pursuits, but keep the one compulsory one (Gallopers)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...