With twelve galleons and similar ships built, I moved on to the painting. I did the hulls in a variety of dark browns, and the deck in a light tan colour.
Then I decorated the upper-works and painted in the stern-windows.
I split the ships into two groups, each of one large galleon, two regular ones and three of the smaller ships. One group was painted with red as its base colour.
The other group was based around blue.
Finally I painted a brown line around the bulwarks, just to break the tan up a little and split the colours up.
I think I probably went a little over the top on some of the decorative work, although it's hard to tell from some illustrations or reconstructions. They certainly stand out at a distance, which I guess is an plus. If I do more ships I may tone them down a little.
The next stage will be to put sails on them, and stick them to bases.