Friday 27 October 2023

HOTT Without Pictures

I would have had a great HOTT report for you today has I not managed to turn up at wargaming last night not only without my phone but also without my glasses. So I played a couple of games of HOTT with Geoff where the figures were blurs and which I couldn't photograph. Fortunately I can see die rolls and markings on the measuring stick, and I could tell the various elements apart even if I couldn't appreciate their detail.

We played two games, and I used my Game of Thrones 'Mother of Dragons' army in both.


For the first game we played at 36AP. I ran my army as 1 x Rider General (Daenerys Targaryen and Dothraki guards), 2 x Riders (Dothraki), 4 x Spears (Unsullied), 2 x Hordes (Freed slaves), 1 x Hero (Ser Jorah Mormont and Ser Barristan Selmy) and 1 x Dragon (Three Dragons). To make it up to 36AP I added elements from my Sundiata army which happened to be in teh same box - 2 x Knights, 2 x Spears and 2 x Shooters.

Geoff fielded a Greek force with spears, some chariot riders, a few warband, Achilles and his Myrmidons as a hero general, plus a couple of Titan behemoths and Ares as a god.

Things started badly for Daenerys. I advanced my army to meet Geoff's and came off badly in the first round of combats, losing a couple of elements on the flanks. My centre did better, with the Unsullied spears holding against the behemoths. My left flank started to look shaky, threatened by chariots and Achilles himself. I took a gamble and threw Daenerys's two champions into the fight - it was a 50/50 hero vs hero fight, and I won, slaying Achilles and leaving Geoff's army leaderless. 

Geoff never really recovered from that - a few bad PIP rolls left his army stationary allowing me to regroup and, in another lucky break, to bring on my dragon. This flew behind Geoff's army and either blocked recoils or engaged in rear-attacks. Geoff's army quickly broke.

One minor heroic element on my side was a group of hordes which held off and then destroyed some warband. Extra rations for those ex-slaves!

For the second game we switched to 24AP. I dropped the Malian allies and changed the dragon for two flyers (the element can be split to allow this). Geoff dropped teh behemoths and the god.

In this one I got in front from the start; the first round of combat between our riders saw two of Geoff's destroyed, exposing one of his flanks. I got the PIPs to bring the flyers in on both flanks to harass and pin and slowly ground down Geoff's army to pick up another win.

The pictures would have been amazing.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaptain. For a 36 point game do you adjust the PIP roll in any way/use eg a D8 (…or whatever)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we make no adjustment at all. Just a regular D6 for PIPs. You just have to work in larger groups and expect more inertia in your army. It seems to work fairly well.

      Delete
  2. I suspect this was another example of S0ds Law. Of course, if you’d suffered 2 crushing defeats then you can be pretty sure that, yes, you would have your ‘phone and also your glasses. C’est la vie as they say…
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...