Wednesday 21 November 2018

Standard Deviation

This evening I have mostly been experimenting with adding flags to my paper pike & shot units.

This approach seems the simplest - folding the flag in half as per normal, but leaving the bottom third unglued. This makes a 'pocket' which I can then slot over the middle rank of pikemen. The flag appears over the heads of the other two ranks whether the unit is viewed from the front or rear.


They seem to stay on fairly well without being glued. To be honest I'm not sure if this gains me much - am I really going to swap flags around on units for different games? I may just settle on a combination of flags I like the look of and fix them, even if it means, from time to time, a Royalist unit may end up fighting under the colours of a Parliamentarian regiment. Or vice versa.

Anyway, they look good, and really enhance the units.

I haven't quite worked out how to do the cavalry yet.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kaptain,

    That is a really clever idea and they look very nice indeed. My own opinion would be to stay with removable flags as it will increase the mileage of what you can use the figures for.

    Neat idea though.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaptain Kobold,

    What a very simple and effective idea! I'd certainly leave them removable so that units can 'change sides' if necessary.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair it looks like the issue of flags is a fairly hazy area in the ECW, and I suspect that unless a flag has obvious Royalist or Parliamentarian symbolism on it, you can probably get away with it for either side without too much trouble :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...