Thursday 20 June 2019

Burlesque Update #7

I've been holding off from posting this Burlesque Update on the hope that we'd get some official performance photos I could show off. But photos take time, and I want to post whilst everything's still fresh.

In my last update I reported on our first show, including my solo debut. Since the we have done the group performance a second time, at an arts showcase event in Sydney, and a second student showcase performance, also up in Sydney. All of the performances basically went OK (I had a very minor costume incident in my solo performance, which I was able to work around), and we had an amazing time.

In lieu of the performance photos (which I'll post in a future update) here's a nice picture I took of Catherine and Maya at the arts showcase:


Yes, that's a stack of cardboard boxes behind them. Because we get the best dressing-rooms.

And here's another curtain-call picture, by Stuart Bucknell Photography. This time I'm looking at the camera:

Now, of course, comes the crash. I have found the past few weeks incredibly intense, and have put a lot of mental effort into them. Our group has worked together well and we've become a little family, supporting and looking out for each other. And now it's all over. We're all going to go our separate ways and, whilst many of us will meet again in future classes, and we've made promises to get together socially, it won't be quite the same. My brain is still whirling, and I'm trying to find something for it to focus on. I suspect that 'something' will be games-related, of course.

But I'm proud of what I have achieved. Last year I set myself the goal of doing burlesque lessons. I did that. Then I set the goal of performing. And I did that. Off the back of those performances last year I promised myself that I would perform solo. And now I've achieved that. I have now set myself the goal of performing solo on my own initiative. The performances I have done were arranged for me by the burlesque school. My aim now is to take my routine out into the world and do it simply as a solo artist, rather than a showcased student. So I have now put myself forward as a performer in a forthcoming local arts festival, and also applied to perform at one of the regular burlesque shows in Sydney (one which is known for encouraging and finding places for neophytes or, as they like to call them 'fresh meat'). I'll let you know how I get on.

And further goals? Maybe develop and perform another routine. And maybe do it without the full-on mentoring I got last time. Although that's probably far too ambitious at this stage, so we'll see.

Thank you for indulging me in these updates which, I am fully aware, are not really a blogging subject any of you signed up for when you chose to follow The Stronghold: Rebuilt. And thank you to those who posted good luck messages. They were all greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. It may not be wargaming ... but it has been interesting to follow your progress.

    Good luck fort He future,

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep at it, and if you do it in baby steps you'll get there in the end. The pressure of self imposed goals is something to resist lest it spoils you're enjoyment and no I didn't sign up here for this kind of post but I am in awe of your bravery and that in itself is something that deserves all of our support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations... and good luck with your future plans. Looking forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I've really appreciated the supportive comments from everyone over the past month or so!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...