Friday 5 April 2019

More X-Wing

John and I played X-Wing again last night. Damo had to cancel at the last minute, and unfortunately he had certain key components such as some of the dials, and the playmat. But we improvised.

John had created two reasonable-sized forces - four Imperial vessels against three Rebels - so it was a fair bit for a novice like me to handle. I took the Imperials. All four ships were different.


The Rebels. John had some useless fighter the ID of which escapes me and which I blew up almost immediately.


Unfortunately his X-Wing and B-Wing were tougher propositions, and were loaded with special abilities I struggled to keep track of.


I did what I could to use the agility of my various Tie ships to their best advantage.


I even managed to launch a bomb, although we worked out later that we were playing the rules incorrectly.


Solid ships built like brick out-houses won the day. I'd taken down the extensive shielding on the B-Wing, and even dented the X-Wing, but the fragile Tie vessels fell apart one after the other. My last one did a runner rather than try to fight a losing battle.


I still enjoyed this game, but I would have been happier playing with ships that had the same (or very similar) stats. I was trying to cope with too many different special abilities on my own side, without trying to keep track of what my opponent could do.

2 comments:

  1. That rather echoes my experience of X-Wing. I wouldr rather play a straight out aerial combat game like Check Your Six! where planes are planes and not planes in space with super powers. Also, I don't really like Star Wars that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z-95 is the worthless Rebel ship.

    Sometimes the best way to play x-wing is to concentrate on just getting in position and blasting, and worry less about the actions and special abilities... they can just get in the way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...