Thursday 8 January 2015

See The Elephant

Over the last week I have been playing more square grid games, mostly based around scenarios in 'One Hour Wargames', but a couple of my own design. This lead me to refine, rework and, I hope, streamline the rules I've been using, both the basic American Civil War version, and the slightly more complex Great Northern War set

In terms of the ACW set, I have now taken my scribbled pencil notes and things that were drifting around in my increasingly overloaded brain and put them to paper. And, what is more, I have found a name for the rules.

So, Version 1.1 of my ACW square-grid rules is now available. I give you:

See The Elephant v1.1

What's different? Well, I have tidied up and organised the terrain rules into their own section, moved a couple of optional rules into the main text (since I was using them in every game anyway) and streamlined the combat procedure so that modifications are easier to apply in the order in which I think they should happen and in a way that's logical.

As a bonus, how about a scenario?

The 1864 Battle of Westport has defied me as a playable game for a long time (although I was 'presented' with a Prussian-Danish 1864 reworking of it as my final game at my UK wargames club before I emigrated), but I managed to strip it down to its bare essentials and stick it onto a chessboard to give me something that played out pretty well.

The Battle of Westport - 1864

If those links don't work, then you should be able to get hold of the goods by going to my Free Stuff page.

4 comments:

  1. A very nice set of rules that I may well try out at some time in the future. I can see how you have melded various ideas and mechanisms together in a very effective way.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school I teach at is located at +4, +4 on your Westport Map. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " If the target is a Green unit, then score one hit if any of the dice show a ‘6’."
    Is this in addition to the hit scored by a 6?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I could add that as a clarification, but it's kind of implied if you follow the sequence as written, as you don't calculate the effects of the individual dice util after you've applied the effects of the situational modifiers (of which this is one).

      At some stage I guess I could add some worked examples But I'll probably save that until after I've stopped fiddling with and tweaking the rules :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...