Friday 30 June 2017

Lion Rampant

Last night we played a four-player game of Lion Rampant, two players a side. Each of us selected a 24 point retinue from the figures available, which were mostly from Saga warbands, and we played the basic pitched battle scenario. As fate would have it, Gary and Daniel both went for English knights, and faced each other, whilst Caesar and I went for wild Islemen and also ended up opposite each other.


Here's my retinue: a unit of archers, two lots of fierce warriors and two small groups of armoured Islemen.


My commander, with his wild axe-wielding bodyguard.


Because this was a straight, head-to-head fight, we also each made a boast, as this would affect how the game played and create useful tie-break points at the end. Daniel vowed to destroy more enemy units than he lost, Gary vowed to destroy Daniels elite knights, I psyched my warriors up with the boast that we would destroy two enemy units in one turn, and Caesar's commander decided that he would not draw his sword during the battle.


The boasts did affect how we played. I tried to position my warriors such that I could do a wild rush at two of his units in the same turn, hoping to break them both, especially after I had softened them up with archery from the cover of the woods on my flank. Caesar played a more cautious game, keeping his units positioned such that his leader was protected from being attacked.


My plan was hampered by my failing activation rolls to launch both of the attacks I needed to make. But eventually we got stuck into the fighting. One of Caesar's warrior units attacked my Islemen nobles, but despite their numbers they cam off worse and routed.


On the other flank the two English forces fought their own battle, with knights charging and counter-charging.


After a promising start, Daniel's force was badly mauled, and eventually Gary made good his boast, destroying Daniel's leader and his elite knights.


Back to the Islemen. Caesar kept avoiding combats, I kept trying to initiate them.


Two units of warriors met in the middle, and there was much slaughter.


Gary polished off the last of Daniel's units. Daniel was nowhere near to making good his boast, which was a point lost for our side.


I whittled down Caesar's units, but only managed one each turn; we were both too dispersed for me to make the concerted effort needed for a double kill. Eventually we ended up with Caesar's battle-shy leader sheltering behind the remains of Gary's retinue.


Meanwhile I had the scattered remnants of my nobles, flanked by archers on one side and some warriors on the other. My only option was to try and defeat Gary's bowmen with my own. It was a 50/50 fight, and I lost. Daniel and I conceded the game at that point.


The actual battle losses were about even, but neither Daniel or I had made good our commanders' boasts, so we both lost honour. Gary and Caesar, however, both achieved their goals, picking up five points, so despite the even losses, Gary and Caesar won a decisive victory.

The game itself was great fun, but the boasts really added an extra dimension to it, leading to all four of us planning our tactics around achieving the various goals. Whilst optional, they are well worth including in any game.

Thanks to Daniel for being organised, and Caesar, Gary and Daniel for providing the figures.

5 comments:

  1. Great phots of amazingly well painted figures which looked even more impressive in the 'flesh'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking game with splendid and colorful figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Minstrel of the Gong regales us once again in splendid tales of valour. Very enjoyable game, we must give anything Rampant another go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent looking game, all round! Are you using a Deepcut Studios mat? It looks very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might be; it's not mine, so I have no idea :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...