Saturday 24 June 2017

Battle Cry - Glorieta

Fired up by my ACW game on Thursday, I found a Battle Cry scenario I'd downloaded years ago on my hard-drive and decided to give it a try this afternoon. It's for Glorieta, one of the actions fought during the New Mexico campaign of 1862, and therefore within my favoured Trans-Mississippi theatre.

Here it is:


I ran it solo, using a Battle Cry variant of the rules I tried out HERE. The rules for each player turn were:

Draw one card.

Roll D6 equal to Command Cards - 1
+1 Dice if you played a Scout card last turn
-1 Dice for each Fight Back card you currently hold.

Each 5 or 6 gives you an extra card draw. Choose one card to play. Discard the rest.

If you choose Fight Back as your card, keep it to one side, then play the top card from the deck (regardless of what it is, but discarding it and drawing again if it is another Fight Back). When a side has at least one Fight Back card, and it is possible for them to play it, you decide if they will or not. However roll a combat die. If the die is a Star, then your decision is reversed. So if you choose not to play it, but roll a Star, then it is actually played. If you choose to play it and roll a Star, then it isn't played. So long as a side has a Fight Back card, they roll one less dice per card when determining how many cards they draw (see above).

The rules worked pretty smoothly, and gave a couple of good games. The first was something of a walkover for the Confederates; they got good rolls for cards, rolled some excellent combat dice and beat the Union by six flags to two. Their artillery in the centre proved especially effective.

In the second game the Union put up a better fight, and the Confederate advance was less organised. The Confederates managed to push up to the ranch, and almost took it, but a counter move by the Union saw them driven off. towards the end both sides were rolling sets of combats that could have won them the game, but the Confederates just managed to pull off a victory, five medals to three.

I took photos during both games, but not really with a view to writing a report, so they're posted here just to give an idea of how the games looked. Here's the scenario set up.


I used my 6mm figures. I have enough bases to substitute for the original plastic figures one-to-one, but I wanted to see how the game would look with a lower density of bases


I used two bases for each unit, and small stones to mark hits.


This meant that units didn't completely fill the hex, so there's room for terrain pieces as well, if I decide to go down that route at a later date.


I don't think that the look of the game suffered with the lower figured density, and the markers were unobtrusive and no problem to use.


I did consider two guns for each artillery unit, but decided that they looked nicer with a gun and limber.





I'll try some of the larger scenarios with this setup, and see how they look.



2 comments:

  1. Using figures definitely adds to the visual appeal of these games, though I do have a soft spot for the wood blocks of Command&Colors. I think it's the heft and the sound they make when you put them on the board :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look good with the figures!

    A nice simple game that I would recommend is the Airfix Battles one. It comes with counters and the idea is that you can use Airfix figures and models instead.

    It has a feel of Memoir '44 but with a bit more depth.

    It's also really cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...