Friday 31 January 2020

Dwarves vs Uruk Hai

Fired up by last night's game of Challengers Of The Great Beyond I got out my Battlesworn warands this evening so that I could try some of the ideas in the new game.

I set up Dwarves vs Uruk Hai; no spells or particularly unusual troop-types on either side.

I used the card-based initiative, with special events happening on a drawn initiative check lifted straight from COTGB. In addition after setting the terrain I rolled for a random scenario, lifting some of the 'plotlines' from COTGB as scenarios, as well as the two from the book plus a straight head-to-head fight. Inevitably I got the straight fight.

I used a method of dicing for figure setup I've used before; roll a D6 for each side and whichever side rolled the lowest had to set up that many figures in their half of the field. You keep rolling until one side has placed all their figures, at which point the other player places what they have left. The first player to position figures is counted as the defender.

The terrain was a ruined city, and the bulk of the forces faced off along a street. The Uruk Hai had some powerful crossbows (Arquebusiers) whilst the Dwarves had their troops covered by a rock-throwing machine (Sniper/Tank). All of the buildings an rubble offered cover, but only high buildings blocked line of sight beyond them.


An initial exchange of fire saw one of the crossbow users wounded, but a lucky shot seriously wounding the Dwarven leader. This was another change - Leaders no longer took a slot, and both sides automatically got one. They had the same ability to alter one combat roll each turn, but only the active player could use it. However if the leader was lost then the side had to randomly draw their initiative card. In fact this was what I was doing for the NPC side (the Uruk Hai) anyway.

As the crossbows were slowly reloaded the Uruk Hai charged - I used a simple Yes/No die roll to make general decisions for them, but tried to play them as sensibly as possible. Their fierce warriors (Brutes) charged the armoured Dwarves (Tanks).


Fighting was fierce and bloody. For combat resolution I used the system from Knight and Knaves - I chose my bid and then used the tables in the booklet to generate my opponent's bid.


The fighting was really bloody, and occupied most of the game. I was forced to bring up my ordinary warriors to support the armoured troops, who despite their strong defences were suffering badly from the sheer power of the Uruk Hai attacks. Sadly Dwarves were falling faster than Uruk Hai.


A lull in the fighting as the survivors eyed each other up. Both crossbows were primed and ready to fire, but they couldn't get a shot on the wounded Dwarf leader, who continued to inspire his troops as well as he could.


A final attack - the Uruk Hai berserker charged the Dwarven leader, but was intercepted by a brave warrior. The berserker simply beheaded him with one swing of his sword.


That was the last turn of the fight, however, and the last casualty was enough to break the Dwarven warband, putting it on more dead figures than alive.


I had two drawn initiative bids. One resulted in the Uruk Hai being able to reload their crossbows, whilst the other allowed the Dwarves to charge in some supports without reactions from their opponent. They are neat responses and a lot better than the options in the current Battlesworn books.

Anyway, the game back to me pretty well, and I hope to get a chance to try some more skirmishes over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...