Saturday 29 July 2017

Where Would You Rather Die? Here? Or In A Jaeger?

Having now printed and painted the five key jaegers from Pacific Rim, I thought I'd post my Mighty Monsters stats for them, for comment, criticism, or simple adoration. Each one is built to roughly the same cost - roughly 320-330pts. Obviously this means that I have had to simplify a few things and make compromises. But each one has been designed with what I hope is its own distinctive style.

General Notes

The jaegers are mostly designed using Samurai Robots Battle Royale, but I have included a couple of bits and pieces which are exclusive to Mighty Monsters as well. I used the Pacific Rim Wiki as my main source of information. This draws on the film, as well as the novelisation, graphic novels and some production notes. I'm not sure how canonical some of the information is, but it all helped to flesh out the designs. 

Strictly jaegers are designed to operate with two (or in one case, three) pilots, with a neural link, and a cheap design would reflect this by simply classing the crew as one pilot. However the film does feature single crew-members piloting the jaegers in an emergency, so I went with the multiple pilots option. The neural net option does add an element of uncertainty.

All of the jaegers have the amphibious trait because they are unaffected when wading out to sea or when operating on the sea-bed.

 Gipsy Danger (330 points)



Head - Q3 C2 - Two Heroic Neural-Net Pilots
Body - Q3 C4 - Spikes (One Use)
Arms - Q3 C3 - Blade, Elbow Thruster x1, Plasma Gun C4S
Legs - Q3 C3 - Amphibious

I made Gipsy Danger a simple all-rounder, as befits the star of the film. It's not brilliant at anything, but with the Heroic pilots should be capable of taking on a range of opponents. The ‘Spikes’ are vented coolant. 'Single use' isn't an option for this ability, but I simply halved the cost. Its use should be declared when a grapple attack is made. 

Crimson Typhoon (330 points)



Head - Q3 C2 - Three Neural-Net Pilots
Body - Q3 C4
Arms - Q2 C4 - Twin Blades, Plasma Cannon C4S
Legs - Q3 C3 - Amphibious, Free Disengage

Crimson Typhoon is my favourite design. I tried very hard to fit it with two sets of arms, but 330pts wasn't enough to do them justice. Instead I gave the one set it has a good Quality and high Combat factor; it should generally be able to get three Arm actions each turn and make them count. The Free Disengage represents its agility in close combat. And close combat is really this jaeger's forte.

Striker Eureka (325pts)



Head - Q3 C2 - Two Neural-Net Pilots
Body - Q3 C4 - Missiles C4L
Arms - Q2 C3 - Blades, Elbow Thruster, Martial Arts
Legs - Q3 C3 - Amphibious

The Australian jaeger is described as a 'brawler', so I gave it the Martial Arts ability that is normally reserved for Tokusatsu Heroes in Mighty Monsters. Otherwise its special feature is the rack of missiles in its chest. Like Gipsy Danger, this jaeger is an all-rounder.

Cherno Alpha (330pts)



Head - Q3 C3 - Heavy Armour, Armoured Cockpit, Two Neural-Net Pilots
Body - Q3 C4 - Light  Armour, Massive
Arms - Q3 C4 - Light Armour, Elbow Thrusters x3
Legs - Q3 C3 - Short Move, Amphibious

Cherno Alpha is pretty much lifted from one of the sample mechs in 'Samurai Robots Battle Royale', with a few adjustments and additions. According to the background fluff for the film, this jaeger does have some kind of short-ranged attack - incinerators mounted on the cooling tower 'helmet'. I didn't have the points for them, so have skipped them. This makes Cherno Alpha the only jaeger design equipped solely for close combat.

Coyote Tango (327pts)



Head - Q3 C2 - Two Neural-Net Pilots
Body - Q3 C3 - Twin-Linked Mortars, C4L with Unlimited Missiles
Arms - Q3 C3 - One-Shot Shooter C3S (Plasma Cannon)
Legs - Q2 C3 - Amphibious

Where Cherno Alpha is equipped entirely for close combat, Coyote Tango is built for ranged combat. It is described as having less armour than other jaegers, sacrificing defence for speed. Rather than increase its move to Long, I increased the quality of its legs, so that it gets more opportunities to make multiple moves and stay at a distance from its opponents whilst attacking them with the massive firepower offered by its big guns. As an early model jaeger, the plasma cannon in the arm was experimental, so I have assumed it has a long recharge time (or is simply unreliable) and given it a single shot.

I have tried three of these designs in combat. Gipsy Danger performs well, as befits an all-rounder. Cherno Alpha suffered badly against a kaiju with a ranged combat capability; it was too slow to close quickly, and the kaiju was using an attack that ignored the armour. Crimson Typhoon works very well, but needs a understanding of how to best make use of multiple actions within one activation. I have yet to try Coyote Tango or Striker Eureka; they will feature in my next game, I hope. 

7 comments:

  1. The models look really nice and I am very jealous. How tall do they stand as it's difficult to get an estimate from some of the other pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are between about 75mm and 85mm tall, and scale nicely with my collection of gashapon kaiju (my Godzilla is 75mm tall, for example).

      Delete
  2. A great looking collection of giant robots / jaegers. 3D printing is certainly coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I used the Heroclix figs, but my stats came out pretty similar to yours.

    Great rules system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The advantages of the clix are that the poses are better and you can get some kaiju to go with them; no-one's done 3D models of the kaiju yet (that I can find). Sadly the clix are a touch too small to fit in with my other monsters.

      Delete
  4. I've really enjoyed your reports and look forward to more

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...