Sunday 21 April 2019

Rebels & Patriots

Caesar and I had another go at Rebels & patriots on Thursday, using Vic's 28mm figures instead on my 6mm units. We used 1862 companies. Caesar and Vic took the Union, whilst I took the Confederates. The Confederate force was small, but enthusiastic, whilst the Union had more green troops, and were less effective in close combat, but had an extra unit.

I'm afraid the terrain ended up being unintentionally ... phallic. 


Once again the objective was undisputed control of the central hill for more turns than the opposition managed, in a game with a random turn length. I pushed forward toward the objective, whilst my artillery, which had a line of fire on the central Union units, provided support.


Meanwhile I sent one unit towards the fields  on my left flank, where Vic had a couple of infantry units up to no good.


He came forward enthusiastically, but my troops hopped the hedge-line, and charged his lead unit, driving it off. The other unit tried musketry, but with little effect.


We ended up in a series of charges and counter-charges.


Meanwhile in the centre, my leader's unit was on the reverse slope and in range of the objective. Caesar had tried to advance his two units, but one was suffering badly from the artillery fire, whilst the other kept failing activation rolls. I had undisputed control of the objective for three turns.


Casualties mounted on the flank, as a series of fierce melees were fought.


Caesar finally brought up troops to contest the hill, but he needed to drive off mine before he could start scoring points. And he had to crest the ill to do that, or outflank my position.


An outflanking move wasn't going to come on my left. The Confederates won the day there, with both Union units breaking and running. One contained the Union company commander, and his loss broke the Union artillery as well.


With the Union morale collapsing, Caesar considered his options in the centre, but at that point the game ended, having run for no more than the minimum eight turns possible.


The game played very smoothly as we had more of a handle on the rules this time. Also pretty quickly as well (although the shortest possible finish helped there). It does pay to keep your eye on the objective, which is such that a side can win even if their units are wiped out; it's about holding ground for as long as possible rather than killing the enemy.

We may move on to another scenario in the next game.

1 comment:

  1. Well done on another victory Kaptain. I thought we had you with the larger Union force but it wasn't to be! Looking forward to trying a multiple command game...

    Cheers
    Caesar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...