In my previous game of Spandau & Lewis I tried out the Taubes for the first time. In my next game I wanted to use the Bleriot XIs. They didn't seem to hang around on the Western Front for as long as the Taube did (at least not in any numbers) so it was harder to put together a scenario that allowed a mix of machine-guns and rifles. So I didn't. I just went for an all-rifle scenario.
It's early in the war and both sides need to check out what's happening around a village on the front-line.
The Germans send a couple of Taubes, escorted by an Albatros B-type. Escorting with aircraft just equipped with a rifle-armed observer does seem to be a thing. They seem to have just acted as a deterrent.
The French send a couple of Bleriot XIs. They are escorted by a Morane L. The latter plane is a two-seater and the rear observer is equipped with a rifle.
I varied the firing arcs for the planes. My rules pretty much give rifles free firing except to the front (on tractor planes) and rear (pushers) but really they were just as restricted as machine-guns, so I'm less generous these days.
Taube (Front-seat observer) - 2*,4,8,10*
Albatros B (Front-seat observer) - 2*,4*,8*,10*. All arcs are restricted because of all of the stuff in the way.
Bleriot XI (Rear seat observer) - 2*,4,6*8,10*
Morane L (Rear seat observer) - 4,6*8
I reasoned that the parasol wing on the Morane would restrict firing to the front.
I didn't take detailed notes, but here's everyone closing in on the two objectives. The Bleriots failed to notice any enemy aircraft for ages, and were pretty much scouting the targets before they saw planes with black crosses on the wings. Both sides kept their scouting planes on mission (of course) and sent the cover off to harass the enemy.
Both of the Taubes spotted a target, and one closed in on the second target. The other Taube swung wide (right of the picture). The operational Bleriot spotted both targets with ease and looked at heading home. A few shots were exchanged, to no effect.
This was a very sedate game, and made a change from the usual frantic dog-fighting you get with WW1 games.







One of the things that I like about WWI aerial is that there is often a proper ending to the game with planes being pursued off the table. In most other games, once one side hits their VP's or feel like they have won or the players run out of time, a line is drawn and the game is called. It's like the game falls off a cliff!
ReplyDeleteI do sometimes set time limits on the games to prevent defending aircraft simply pursuing their enemy to the base edge. You must exit your 'home' edge before that limit or conceded a few points to the enemy. This stops a full chase to the enemy baseline. I set the time limits such that it gives the mission aircraft time to come on, operate over the target and get home, plus about 50% for 'unforeseen circumstances'. Not only does it prevent chases, it also forces the side with the mission to get on with it, or lose the opportunity.
DeleteA good looking and appropriate game of First World War aerial getting the info. for the boys below.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James