I am expecting a delivery of French planes from Tumbling Dice at some stage, and that will keep me more than busy for a while once they arrive. But inspired by how well my scratchbuilt Farman Shorthorns turned out the other week, I had a go at some more planes the other day. I decided to put together some of the very earliest aircraft to be used by either side - for the French the Bleriot XI and for the Germans the Etrich Taube.
And here they are, with the Farmans I made as well. I bought a new batch of acrylic bases from Back 2 Base-ix, so could finally get them all flying.
The Farmans finally take to the skies.
The Etrich Taube. This had a distinctive swept-wing design, and used wing-warping to shape the wing in a similar way to a bird. For all its looks it was slow and clumsy, although very stable as an observation aircraft. As the first properly armed aircraft took to the skies in the spring of 1915, they were withdrawn from active service. They were unarmed, naturally. In a game you'd give the observer a rifle. In Spandau & Lewis terms they'd be: Speed 3, Manuever E, Hits 5, Power 0 and have a rifle for the observer firing 2*,4*,8*,10* (all arcs restricted).
The Taube was Germany's first mass-produced military aircraft. The Bleriot was France's. Based on teh design Bleriot used to cross the channel, there seem to have been several variants of this type, including single-seat and two-seat military versions. I made two-seaters - the single seater would be slightly smaller, but probably not to a level where you'd care at this scale. Like the Taube they were quickly withdrawn from front-line service as they were also slow and too stable for air combat. They'd have the same stats as the Taube in Spandau & Lewis, but I'd give the rifle arcs of 4,6* and 8, since they had an observer in the rear seat. There are also suggestions that some carried a Hotchkiss machine gun, firing forward well over the propeller arc. I'd probably just count that as a pivot gun firing into the 12 arc only, and maybe limit the ammo to 4 instead of the usual 8.




No comments:
Post a Comment