Friday, 21 August 2026

Alpha Strike

Last night was an Alpha Strike night at our club and, lacking anything else to play, I joined in. 

We played an attack/defence scenario, with each of teh five players controlling 150pts of mechs. Colin and I defended against three attacking lances. There were three objective counters up for grabs. 

Here's my group deployed, using buildings for cover. 


Advancing attackers. I focused on Caesar's group, whilst Colin faced both Craig and Ed. We didn't coordinate our defence very well. 


Colin's mechs. The attackers are advancing in the distance. In fact Colin got off to a great start when one of his first shots scored a critical on big enemy mech and blew it up. 


Caesar attacked piecemeal and I was able to concentrate fire on one of his smaller lead mechs. 


That too blew up. 


More worrisome was this big mech (and Atlas) that advanced straight down the centre. I managed to score a few long-range hits on it but realised I was going to have to concentrate fire on it at some stage. 


Caesar watching as a lucky critical blew up his Archer. This was providing long-range fire support.

In all we scored three Instant Kill criticals during the game. 


I had two Jenners. They weren't tough but were fairly shooty. One was on its last legs so I jumped it int teh rear of the Atlas, overheated it as much as I could to boost weapon power and scored a decent amount of damage on the behemoth. I then got destroyed, but that was going to happen no matter where I was. 


Small enemy mechs kept leaping into my area and shooting the rear of my mechs, but we kept fighting. I starting overloading weapons to score maximum damage on the advancing Atlas, hoping to prevent it from holding the objective


On the other side of the table Colin was getting overrun. I mean he was outnumbered two to one. 


We went into the last turn with Caesar's Atlas and my Awesome fighting it out on an objective. The Atlas had lost all of its armour and wasn't looking happy, but the Awesome was fairly beaten up as well.  However we'd lost the other two objectives, so the attackers won. But we made them pay.


To be honest I'm not sure a straight stand-up attack/defence worked here, as the defenders don't really get any defensive advantage. There was plenty of cover for the attackers so neitehr side had any kind of terrain advantage. The only edge either side had was that the attackers had 50% more mechs. 

But we'll work on this concept some more. Ed has some interesting toys that might make for a fascinating future game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...