Friday 7 June 2019

Burlesque Update #5

This Thursday is not only a missed wargaming night, but a missed wargaming night on the 75th anniversary of D-Day. But with two days to go before the first performance, we need the rehearsals.

This past week has seen us finishing off costume bits and getting the accessories together. I even spent an evening in front of the TV (watching Jason Statham in 'The Meg') sewing elastic loops onto skirts and ribbon ties onto bras. Most of my sewing previously consisted of reattaching buttons, so I'm moving up in the world.

I have also been ruthlessly rehearsing the group routine. Taking on two routines was always going to be hard, but it was obvious I'd not practiced the group routine as much as my solo. I have now rectified this, and hopefully won't be making any silly mistakes on the night.

This week's biggest event was that we were picked up by the local paper. Mae, headmistress of our burlesque school, has been working hard on the promotional side of things, and sent them a press release. They talked to her and picked up that not only was I performing (the only guy to be doing so) but that my wife and daughter would be taking part as well. So they decided to make that their 'angle'. And here we are; stars of our very own article after a cold and wet 9am photoshoot at the venue we'll be performing at:


Photo by Robert Peet via The Illawarra Mercury
(The headline isn't totally true - only I'll be wearing fishnets on the night.)


So this is it. When I write next week's report we will have performed our group routine twice and I will have made my solo debut. I'm nervous, but I'm looking forward to it. 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with first your first show. Hope you don't succumb to the jitters. I know I'd die of stage fright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done amateur dramatics in the past, so I know I'm OK on the stage. It's more the nature of the performance - dancing, essentially - that gave me the nerves. And the fact that I'm on the stage on my own.

      However I can report that all performances went well, and I had a wonderful time :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...