Tuesday 12 October 2021

Army Showcase - Fishmen

A number of people have admired mu Fishmen over the years, but I realised I'd never done an army showcase for them. So here it is.

They're a 15mm army I painted around 2002. They were originally 24AP, but I've added a few extra elements over the years and they'll run as a 36AP force if you feel that way inclined. They are a good example of how a simple bold colour-scheme can make for a bold and eye-catching army.

I don't do much in the way of back-stories for my armies, but I've always seen them as a theocratic society whose warriors often take live prisoners for sacrifice. A lot of the figures have nets for just that purpose.

Anyway, here's the full army.


The core of the army, which includes the general, are the fishmen with tridents, which I run as spears. There's six of them. They're from Pendraken, as are all of the core troops, and they are some of my favourite fantasy figures.





They are supported by warriors with harpoon guns, classed as shooters. There's four elements of these.



This is the cleric element. I have, in the past, sometimes run them as a magician. But mostly they are run as a cleric.


A cleric means that there's an awkward 1AP left over, so I made a lurker. This is one of the GW Man O'War sea-monsters.


So that's the original 24AP accounted for. A few years ago I added some extras. These were the first - a couple of elements of warband. The figures are Deep Ones from Rebel Minis and were gifted me by my friend Terry Webb.




The original Pendraken army pack came with a small cannon and a couple of crew, but i never felt it fitted my view of the army. But I liked the idea of some artillery, so added this ballista and crew from Evil Gong's Fishman range.



Finally I felt the army needed some heavy-hitters. This is their behemoth - a sea-troll I 3D-printed from a file designed by DutchMogul on Thingiverse.


And the Fishman god turns up from time to time - it's Reaper Bones figure. I can't remember what's it's packaged as, but basically it's a mini-Cthulhu.


And that's the army. It's not fast of clever but often wins by slowly grinding down their foe, the spears in the centre being ably supported by shooters on the wings and varying levels of help from whatever else I bolt onto the army. 

In all this time I've never given them a stronghold. I should, really.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you could find twenty or more suitable strongholds simply by walking through your local pet store. I've always like the fishmen - nice collection!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...