However, inspired by Peter at Grid-Based Wargaming, I got hold of some cheap oil pastels and had a go at tarting it up a bit. I reasoned that if I cocked it up, the cloth was easily replaced at little real cost.
This was the result. Three different blues and some white for the wave crests. Took about an hour to do the whole 3' x 3' area.
I was impressed with how it turned out. Visually, anyway. It was only after I did it that I realised that oil pastels never dry. If I touched the cloth (stop laughing at the back there) then the colour came off on my hands. Not ideal at all.
Fortunately a good spray with sealant seems to have fixed that issue. But it needed a good spray.
Anyway, I haven't played a game with the new look cloth, but I have taken a picture.
Obviously I need to do something about the bases of the ships now.