Monday 12 November 2018

Mystery Battle

I'm having a think about what game to take to the Games Day at the library next Saturday, and thought that since it's currently uppermost in my mind I might put my ECW paper figures on show and run a Portable Wargame. Whilst impressive miniatures games have a place in attracting people to the hobby, I think there's a place for showing that a modest, budget, setup can also look OK and be fun to use. I'm also assuming that basic it will be Catherine and me playing a couple of games, whilst a few interested people watch for a little while. That's basically how it panned out last year, when I took a cut-down Dragon Rampant setup. But this year I wanted to take something historical.

Anyway, I think I have a version of the rules I'm mostly happy with, so just needed a scenario or two to actually play. I worked one out this evening, and tried it out. It gave a fairly interesting game, so I'll probably run with it. Can you guess which battle it is from these two photos?



I confess a small part of me is saying that I should take my gladiators, or even my South American Wars of Liberation stuff, so I may yet change my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Those are very nice! If you want to get across the point that organising armies for wargaming needn't be expensive or massively time-consuming, this would do that really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never hurts to demonstrate the simpler and less expensive approach to the hobby. And, I always look forward to your ECW approach to Portable Wargame. I look forward to your after battle report.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...