Thursday 9 March 2023

Nottomans

Over the years I have accumulated quite a pile of the 18th century Risk figures, and long-term readers of this blog will know that I converted and painted a load as not quite Great Northern War Russians and Swedes a while back.

Since then I've always fancied having an Ottoman army to go with them; less regular infantry but more light and irregular troops. However the amount of work required to convert the figures to look even remotely accurate was somewhat off-putting. I know my Russians and Swedes aren't exactly accurate, but they're close. To get close for the Turks would take more effort that I was willing to put in.

However I eventually decided that I could just bodge together some troops that simply had a 'Eastern' vibe without doing too much work, and that would give me something that could stand in for the Turks but with far less effort.

And here's my first test unit - some regular infantry looking more, it has to be said, like brightly-dressed 18th Century sepoys than Ottoman Jannisaries, but interesting enough and different from the Russians or Swedes posing behind them.


I have a spot of tidying up to do on them, but once I have them how I want them they can act as the template for some more regulars (each unit in its own colours, naturally). Then I can apply a similar method for the irregular foot and artillery before considering how I want to approach the cavalry.


So early stages, but my daily painting strategy may see some progress on this project (which, I'll admit now I started two years ago and haven't touched since).

4 comments:

  1. Hello there Kaptain,

    The LOTR Risk version has some figures that could be repurposed into ‘Nottomans’. As I recall they are of a similar size - perhaps the Elvish archers could morph into Jannisaries?

    I am keen to see how this turns out!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have a LotR Risk set somewhere. I'll have a look :)

      Delete
  2. Kaptain Kobbold,

    I am going to include an article in the next Portable Wargame Compendium about plundering various variants of RISK to use the figures for PW armies. May I use some of your photos if I need to in order to illustrate how they can be painted and used?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. There should be a few of the Russians and Swedes on here, and hopefully I'll have some units for this lot completed in the next week or two.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...