Tuesday 22 December 2020

Portable Pike and Shot Published!

Regulars on this blog will know that for a few years I've been playing around with an ECW version of the Portable Wargame. Well, you'll be pleased to know that it's been published as part of a collection of rules in Bob Corderey's ongoing Portable Wargames book series!

It was actually published a few weeks ago, but I was holding off announcing it here for the purely parochial reason that you couldn't order print copies of it here in Australia. However it looks like that's now the case.

It's available through Amazon in both print and Kindle form.

So what do you get for your cash? Well, obviously you get my ECW rules, and that's obviousy worth the price of the book on its own. But, in all seriousness, you get a short piece on warfare in the pike & shot period by Bob, then three sets of rules - one for the period in general, pitched mostly at the ECW and 30YW, my ECW set and a set for the Sengoku era in Japan. The other two sets are written by French gamer Antoine BourguilleauOn top of that you get a series of rules and pieces by Arthur Harman, which include a pre-battle deployment system, rules for sieges and assaults and a strange set of rules, plus a scenario, based around ECW re-enactors.

It's the first time I've had a set of rules properly published in over 4 years, so I'm quite thrilled, and it's a pleasure to be part of a book with some genuine 'names' in the hobby too. 

Obviously I'm biased, but if you're a fan of the Portable Wargame then this is a worthy addition to the series, with some interesting ideas and expansions for the concept.

(Ironically since my author's copy is coming from the UK, I don't have a copy of the book myself. Yet. Looking forward to getting it though!)

9 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to getting a copy once Christmas is out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaptain Kobold,

    Your copy will be on its way to you just as soon as I am able to get to the post office.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Kaptain! That's quite an accomplishment and as well as a feather in your cap. Well done and good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaptain Kobold -
    The moment I can get a hard-copy of this in this country, I'm placing an order.
    'Get thee behind me, COVID-19!'
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats matey. I’ll pick up a copy in Jan since I’ve no more hobby money until then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaptain,

    I am in the UK so have had my copy for a while now. Finding your rules very playable and well thought out. Straight forward but not to simple. The siege rules are also very good and the pre-battle system is historically accurate for the ECW period. A very good book all round. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great!! I have alwats wanted to test the portable wargame system and this period is most enjoyable. Getting my digital copy right now!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...