Yesterday we had our first game of Gaslands in a while. There were three of us and we all chose to run one vehicle apiece. We ended up with one of my favourite scenarios (and one of Caesar's least favourite scenarios), Saturday Night Live. This is the ne where you chase around collecting Audience Votes which mostly translate to Victory Points. First to 15 wins.
Caesar went with his Freeway Fighter, this time maquerading as a Miyazaki vehicle
Craig had a rally-car with the handling and robustness of a truck and packed with Scarlett pirates like a clown-car.
I ran the Yellow Submarine, which is a Mishkin technological terror featuring not only a nuclear engine but also a teleporter.
Mishkin isn't normally great in this scenario, because their Audience Votes are generally quite low. However I had several unique weapons, and (I hoped) a vehicle capable of competing for the various spot-prizes the scenario offers.
Freeway Fighter and Yellow Submarine begin the game.
Caesar went with his Freeway Fighter, this time maquerading as a Miyazaki vehicle
Craig had a rally-car with the handling and robustness of a truck and packed with Scarlett pirates like a clown-car.
I ran the Yellow Submarine, which is a Mishkin technological terror featuring not only a nuclear engine but also a teleporter.
Mishkin isn't normally great in this scenario, because their Audience Votes are generally quite low. However I had several unique weapons, and (I hoped) a vehicle capable of competing for the various spot-prizes the scenario offers.
Freeway Fighter and Yellow Submarine begin the game.
Caesar and Craig met in the centre and a furious exchange of gunfire saw both vehicles damaged.
To be honest I lost track of a lot of what happened. Craig managed to shoot up Caesar and then ram and destroy him, picking up votes by doing so. Caesar had done a bit of funky Miyazaki movement prior to that and acquired a few votes. And were were all collecting votes for the spot-prizes as they came up.
Yellow Submarine isn't heavily armed, but can put out a bit of firepower. Craig and I exchanged shots.
Yellow Submarine isn't heavily armed, but can put out a bit of firepower. Craig and I exchanged shots.
Craig had sown a couple of minefields, and Caesar's newly regenerated Freeway Fighter contrived to run into one of them. Amazingly it took no damage.
I got Yellow Submarine into a tight spot and used the teleporter to move back out of danger. I then moved back up and unleashed my Thumper - an awesome sonic device that forces opposing vehicles to make a flip check. Caesar failed and took damage.
I used teh teleporter to get around the corner safely, leaving Caesar and Craig to fight things out for a bit. Craig and I were both looking strong in terms of victory points, whilst Caesar had barely troubled the scorer.
A close shave for Craig.
I think this was the point that Caesar got shot up and destroyed again. I think he got a lot of his audience votes from being wrecked.
I'd brought Yellow Submarine back into the centre, chasing spot-prizes. I was doing quite well, but sadly the next vote I got was when Craig shot me up and wrecked me.
I think I may have returned the favour somehow. Whatever happened we had a few phases where there were no active vehicles in play.
And they're back! We all respawned. Craig was out of shot at the top. I chased Freeway Fighter (teleporting to get closer).
At this stage I saw I was only a few victory points away from winning, so I started looking for a quick finish. Using my Eureka! trait to magic up a one-shot tank-gun allowed me to not only destroy Craig's vehicle, but got me a point for using a unique weapon. With only two points away from a win I got to activate. The spot-prize was for declaring a T-bone smash-attach, so I used my teleporter to get into position on Caesar, and lined up a ram. I got the smash, and ended up one point short of the win.
But the ram caused me to wipe out. And that caused me to flip. And a flip with a nuclear engine means the vehicle simply explodes. And that meant I wrecked and picked up the final audience vote I needed for the win.
Me - 17
Craig - 9
Caesar - 6
I got four points just from my Mishkin sponsorship - using unique weapons. I wrecked twice for two more points. The rest were from aggressively pursuing spot prizes.
It was great fun to get back into the arena after too long a break.













No comments:
Post a Comment