Friday, 28 August 2026

Memoir '44

We had a very quiet club night last night, with only three of us turning up. We played Memoir '44. Caesar has played in the past, but Daniel was new to the game, so I just took the basic set with me reasoning that the scenarios in it are pretty simple to pick up.

Daniel spectated to pick up the game whilst Caesar and I played the first game. We did the St Mere Eglise scenario, with Caesar taking the Americans whilst I took the Germans. This is is a fun one because the Americans get to drop figures on the board to simulate a paradrop. Caesar ended up with four units in my right-flank sector, some in cover.


Fortunately I had plenty of cards for that sector, despite only having a four-card hand, and I was able to mount a strong attack. That's where I picked up most of the kills for my 4-2 win. 

Daniel then stepped up to the plate and we reran the scenario. He took the Americans as well. His paradrop was in front of my left-flank reinforcements and initially he had me trapped in a corner. But I rallied and used a Their Finest Hour card to open up the flank and get my armour into play. This then hunted down paratroopers in the centre. Daniel cam back using a Behind Enemy Lines to take out a single-figure unit I had on my baseline, to put him one medal from victory, but I used a Counter-Attack to return the favour and knock out one of his weak units for the win. 


Daniel and Caesar then played each other. They chose the Operation Luttich scenario because it had tanks on both sides as well as some artillery. Caesar took the Americans, who are in a decent defensive position. Daniel's Germans have lots of armour, including heavy tanks, but armour's not brilliant against units in towns and bocage. 


Here's the setup.


Daniel attacked on his left, away from the US artillery, and his armour was able to overwhelm the first US position, then burst into the rear of their lines. Two more units fell as the Panzer Grenadiers came up in support, and a quick move onto the objective in that part of the board saw a lightning German victory. 

Great fun as always, and Daniel wants to play again next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...